Chart of the Week: Singapore’s card payments market to grow 10.2% in 2021 | Asian Banking & Finance - The Latest News, Headlines, Insight, Commentary & Analysis
,Singapore
10 views

Chart of the Week: Singapore’s card payments market to grow 10.2% in 2021

Business reopenings and ongoing COVID vaccination program will support spending.

Singapore’s card payments market is set to rebound in 2021 after a decline in 2020 halted its growth rally for the past few years, reports data and analytics company GlobalData.

According to GlobalData’s Payment Cards Analytics, card payments in the Lion City are set to grow by 10.2% in 2021, thanks to the reopening of businesses, forecasted recovery in consumer spending, and the ongoing COVID-19 vaccination program.

Against this backdrop, the value of card payments is expected to register a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.2% between 2020 and 2024 and reach $96.5b (S$129.8b) in three years’ time.

The increase in consumer demand for credit, especially from the growing middle-class, helped the growth of credit and charge card transactions during the review period, notes Nikhil Reddy, banking and payments analyst at GlobalData.

“Singapore payment cards market is well developed with majority of the consumers having access to payment cards,” Reddy noted, adding that the ability to earn cashback and other rewards associated with credit cards make them the preferred card payment in the past years.

However, the economic slowdown and the travel restrictions amidst the COVID-19 pandemic forced individuals to spend prudently, which resulted in the reduced usage of payment cards in the short-term.

As a result, the value of credit and charge card payments registered a decline of 9.4% in 2020, higher compared to the 3.8% decline in debit cards.

With the revival of the economy, credit card usage is expected increase. According to GlobalData’s Payment Cards Analytics, the value of credit and charge card payments is forecasted to register a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.7% between 2021 and 2024 while debit cards will grow at a CAGR of 5.3% during the same period.

In terms of usage, credit and charge cards remain the most preferred card payments method in Singapore, accounting for 64.1% of the total card payments in 2020 whilst debit cards accounted for the remaining 35.9% share.

Get Asian Banking & Finance - The Latest News, Headlines, Insight, Commentary & Analysis in your inbox
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Banks have to remain consistent and continuous in testing best practices.
Shares were priced at the top end, at KRW39,000 ($34).
In January, 1.2 million transactions were carried out via the SGQR.
Its launch will require legal changes to the nation’s foreign exchange and IT rules.
But less than half of consumers are impressed with the digital financial services currently offered.
Treasury teams can mobilize liquidity and fund intraday payments in real-time.
Customers have the option to pay their tax balances in full or partially.
About 750 new accounts have been opened in four APAC markets through the new portal.
UnionDigital will be a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Philippine lender.
SmartStream’s Peter Hainz and Amazon Web Services’ Anna Green shared their insights on the advantages of on-demand and highly scalable cloud environments for banks and other financial institutions, as well as the factors hindering its adoption in the region.
This August, the Asian Banking & Finance and SAP will provide insights on the evolving landscape for ESG in financial services.
Thirteen lenders noted that demand was moderately weaker than the preceding 3-month period.
Investors will likely seek signs that private lenders will be able to step up lending once COVID subsides.
It opens up new revenue models and lowers the cost-to-serve.