Chart of the Week: Card payments in China to rebound 21.3% in 2021 | Asian Banking & Finance - The Latest News, Headlines, Insight, Commentary & Analysis
,China
1 view

Chart of the Week: Card payments in China to rebound 21.3% in 2021

Card payments are set to rise as economic activities gathers pace.

Card payments in China are set to reach $33.8t (CNY220.4t) in value come 2024, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.9% between 2020 and 2024.

The sector is set rebound with a 21.3% growth in 2021 after being hit by the pandemic last year. Such payments have been on a steady growth in the country for the last few years, backed by rising financial inclusion, consumer preference and payment infrastructure, said GlobalData senior analyst Nikhil Reddy.

According to GlobalData’s Payment Cards Analytics, card payments are set to rise as economic activities gather pace and consumer spending improves in the wake of the COVID-19 vaccination program.

The payment card space is dominated by debit cards, accounting for 57.4% of total card payments value in 2020 whilst credit and charge cards comprised the remaining 42.6%.

The value of debit card payments will grow at a CAGR of 14.5% between 2021 and 2024 whilst credit and charge cards will grow at a CAGR of 16.6% during the same period, the report noted.

The government, in collaboration with card issuers and schemes, is also taking various measures to support the card market, including removing the interest rate upper and lower cap from 1 January 2021. This means the interest rate can now be determined by the issuer and card holder through an independent negotiation. 

“This initiative will drive competition in credit card space thereby could result in lowering costs for cardholders,” the report added.

Moreover, the entry of international card companies will drive competition in the payment market, which has been predominantly dominated by domestic giant China UnionPay. American Express became the first foreign card company to receive approval to establish a network to clear card payments in China in June 2020.

Get Asian Banking & Finance - The Latest News, Headlines, Insight, Commentary & Analysis in your inbox
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Banks have to remain consistent and continuous in testing best practices.
Shares were priced at the top end, at KRW39,000 ($34).
In January, 1.2 million transactions were carried out via the SGQR.
Its launch will require legal changes to the nation’s foreign exchange and IT rules.
But less than half of consumers are impressed with the digital financial services currently offered.
Treasury teams can mobilize liquidity and fund intraday payments in real-time.
Customers have the option to pay their tax balances in full or partially.
About 750 new accounts have been opened in four APAC markets through the new portal.
UnionDigital will be a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Philippine lender.
SmartStream’s Peter Hainz and Amazon Web Services’ Anna Green shared their insights on the advantages of on-demand and highly scalable cloud environments for banks and other financial institutions, as well as the factors hindering its adoption in the region.
This August, the Asian Banking & Finance and SAP will provide insights on the evolving landscape for ESG in financial services.
Thirteen lenders noted that demand was moderately weaker than the preceding 3-month period.
Investors will likely seek signs that private lenders will be able to step up lending once COVID subsides.
It opens up new revenue models and lowers the cost-to-serve.